Meet the Federal Workforce

Many people think only of Washington, D.C. when they hear "federal employees" but only 15 percent of the federal workforce lives and works in the Washington area. The remaining 85 percent are in cities and towns in every state. Find out how many are in your state using the map below. There are federal employees outside the 50 states too. Tens of thousands work in other countries and in Puerto Rico, Guam, the Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa and even the Midway Islands.


Click each state to see how many federal employees live there.

AL AK AZ AR CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NV NH NJ NM NY NC ND OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY DC